Self-Determination Program Overview
In the Self-Determination Program, you can choose and control all the services that you’re qualified to receive. As part of this control, you have full control over hiring and firing your providers. You also have full control and management over your budget.
To qualify, you must be eligible for services under the California Self-Determination Program (SDP) Waiver for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities.
Who the Self-Determination Program Serves
- People (age 3+) who have developmental disabilities
- People receiving regional center services who live at home, in the community, or in a group home
To be eligible, you must agree to the following points, specified in the law:
- Attend an orientation to the Self-Determination Program
- Use Self-Determination Program funds only when generic services are not available
- Only purchase services necessary to begin the Individual Program Plan
- Manage services and supports within an individual budget
- Use a financial management service (FMS) provider
In the Self-Determination Program, You Can…
- Plan your own life and make your own decisions
- Choose how to spend funding on services and supports
- Plan and choose your own formal and informal supports
- Take responsibility for the decisions made
- Maintain full employer authority to hire, manage, and fire employees
- Provide the highest possible wages for employees
- Select benefit options for employees (PTO, health insurance, 401K)
- Schedule your own employees
- Control training requirements
- Access your budget reports in real time
- Submit time electronically
How to Enroll
- You must be eligible for services under the Lanterman Act.
- The regional center must confirm that you meet the community residence requirement.*
- You must enroll in Medi-Cal through a county department of social services.
- You must get at least one purchase of service (POS) from your regional center. This purchase must qualify for federal reimbursement.
*Your eligibility does not depend on immigration status. Undocumented residents are entitled to receive benefits.
How GT Independence Supports You
At GT Independence, we believe you should be able to experience life on your own terms. As a financial management service (FMS), we help you manage your services and supports. You control your care. We take care of the details. This includes all of the paperwork, like taxes and payments to your providers. We also handle all background screenings for your support providers. Our goal is to give you the support you need to self-direct your own care.
- Family-owned and disability-led business
- More than 15 years serving the aging and disability communities
- CARF accredited financial management service
Have questions about self-directing your own services?
Call (toll-free): 877.659.4500