December 8, 2022
Services My Way Is Only Available in the District of Columbia
Before Reading This Guide
This guide gives you a quick overview of the enrollment process for the Services My Way program with GT Independence. Before you enroll, you must work with your case manager to find out if you are eligible for the Services My Way program.
- If you’re eligible, congratulations! We look forward to working with you.
- If you’re not sure about your eligibility, talk with your case manager to find out more.
Step 1: Welcome Phone Call From GT Independence (takes 2-4 weeks)
During this step, we call to say hello. We learn more about you, your PDW (participant-directed worker), and your natural supports. During this time, we explain the Services My Way program, draft your budget, and work towards hiring your PDW.
Services My Way Program Orientation
- Program Details
- Roles in Participant Direction
- Back-up Planning
- Goods and Services
- PDW Eligibility
- Health & Safety
Draft a Services My Way Budget
- Choose your PDW pay rate and schedule
- Identify and account for any goods and services that are part of your plan
- Have your case manager review the goods and services in your plan
Pre-Hire Steps for Your PDW
- Complete Background Check Consent and Disclosure Form
- Fingerprint Background Screening
- CPR/First Aid Certification (in-person classes required)
- NPI (National Provider Identification) Registration
2. Enrollment Meeting (scheduled after your PDW has completed the pre-hire steps)
Once your PDW has completed the pre-hire requirements (see Step 1), we’ll schedule your enrollment meeting. During this meeting, we walk you through everything step by step.
Enrollment Meeting Overview
- Complete enrollment paperwork
- Review service time entry and approval
- Sign off on your budget
To make your enrollment easy, you and your PDW need to bring some important paperwork.
What Participants Should Bring to the Meeting
- Guardian/Power of Attorney paperwork (if it applies to you)
What PDWs Should Bring to the Meeting
- Direct deposit information
- Driver’s license and social security card
- Or Passport
- Or other acceptable identity documents
3. Getting Your Budget Approved (takes 2 weeks)
After enrollment, GT submits your budget for review by the Department of Health Care Finance (DHCF) Services My Way. Once approved, GT gets service authorization.
4. Start Date (after your budget is approved by DHCF)
We let you know when your budget gets approved. After that, your PDW begins providing services for you.
Total Enrollment Time: 4-6 Weeks
5. After Enrollment Support
After enrollment, GT continues to support you along the way. Your support broker checks in with you every month. They review your services and help you navigate your role as a participant. Every three months, your support broker meets with you in person. And, of course, we’re only a phone call or email away.